Thursday, October 25, 2007

Legal and Ethical Restraints on PR

In class, we have discussed many rules, laws, and regulations that public relations practitioners have to or should abide by. On page 64 of Gower, "Defamation is holding someone up to public hatred , ridicule, or scorn. It is more than just saying something that is embarrassing or private about a person. "

I am a little confused with this term. What I don't understand is if someone is in the "lime light," are we not allowed to say whatever we feel about them? For example, if a person is running for a certain position, and it is up to us to elect them, can we not say what we feel about them? I'm not sure in what situation we can talk about the bad characteristics of a person.

Also, is it true that the difference between libel and slander is that libel is spoken and slander is written? I just want to make sure I understand the differences.

No comments: